Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Ahhh the young ones in college......

What up peeps? Let me tell you about my experience at ISU's library.

I have an insurance exam coming up (gag) so I really need to study. I already failed the first test (didn't study and would rather watch paint dry) so I really needed to get on the ball about retaking the test. I can't really study at home - too many distractions (boys coming out of their rooms after bedtime, TV, watching paint dry, etc) - so I decided, I'll either go to Barnes and Noble or ISU's Milner library to study. I passed on the B&N because I don't know if I can study without perusing through every isle and wanting to read the latest James Patterson book so I thought "Milner is fine. Quiet and close by."

First issue was actually finding the library. You'd thinking living in this town all my life, I would know where Milner is. Nope. I went to Eastern for heavens sake! Who cares about ISU! Sorry ISU friends! I had an idea on where is was and I finally found it. Yay! Now, trying to find a parking spot. There is a lot in the back but you'd have to pay. I'm too cheap and a scrooge so I drove around in circles trying to find a spot on the street but finally found a parking lot which seemed like miles away from the library but hey, it was free.

Got out of my car and walked and walked and walked to the library. Looking over my shoulder every 5 seconds being the paranoid freak I am. As I was walking (and walking and walking....) to the library, I was passing all of these students with their book bags, ISU sweatshirts, and fraternity/sorority Greek letters and I got a little reminiscent about my college days and going to Booth Library and studying at EIU. Honestly, I think I could count on both my hands how many times I actually studied there - I was more of a dorm/sorority house studier. But I digress.

As I walked in, I looked around and thought, wow, there is a lot of people here. Who'd of thought people at ISU on a Tuesday night actually studied in a library. I walked up the stairs because there were designated floors that were "quiet". I wanted those floors. No distractions. No reenacting of Mrs. Robinson. Went to the fourth floor and walked around like a lost puppy. I had no idea on where to sit. All the table were taken and those that weren't, there was one person at the table and me being selfish, I did NOT want to share a table. So, went up to the fifth floor - the final quiet floor. When I stepped through the doors, I become "that old lady" students were looking at. Oh, don't pretend you don't know what I'm talking about. Remember when you were younger and in college and were in class or at the library (rare) and saw someone that was really old (over 30) and thought, "what the *bleep* are they doing here??" Well, that was me tonight.

Finally found a table - my own, ha - and starting studying. When looking around, I didn't see one student that didn't have a laptop. Seriously?! I wanted to shout - hey people! You guys have it soooo easy! When I was in school, I didn't have internet or search engines. When I was in school, you went to the library, hoped to GOD the book or magazine you're looking for was still there. If was it, make copies of the pages for your 15-20 page book report. If they didn't have it, try and find it on Microfiche. Wow - totally dating myself but ahhh.....those were the good old days. Took ten times longer and was hard work but worth it.

So after about an hour, I'd had enough of studying and watching the young ones study and then socialize and then back to studying again. Part of me was a tiny bit jealous - would love to be young again and have no responsibilities. But then then I thought of my college days - super fun, miss them at times, formed lifelong relationships - and glad I had that experience and moved onto to adult and parenthood. But that doesn't mean I can't live vicariously through college kiddios every now and then :)

1 comment:

  1. Wow! I can only imagine! Since I'm back in school, I can relate. It's SOOOO much easier with having a laptop, searching for articles and books are MUCH easier, etc. GOOD LUCK on the test!

    ReplyDelete